18 September 2008

It's a Flavor Orgy

I love that feeling. That indescribable rush that takes over after super delicious food touches the tongue. It's like an orgy of flavors exploded in my mouth, and each new bite brings me closer to the coveted mouth orgasm.

It doesn't happen often (enough). Delicious food is one of my passions in life, one of those things that truly can make me happy afterward. I always know it's coming to a mouth orgasm when all I want to do is "ugh" and "ooo" after each savory bite. And sometimes, I do make those sounds because it's just that frickin' good. Ungh!

This happened to me last night.

I needed dinner before my rockin' concert (The Raconteurs!) I googled the venue and then did the handy search nearby function. Hiding on the second page was R. Palate. I went to the website and looked at the happy hour menu. From the first item, I knew I was in for a treat.

Grilled cappicollo wrapped sea scallops with a pesto sauce and balsamic reduction.

My saliva glands went into overtime just thinking about that. Although I am new to the scallop world, my first introduction was positive (although they were bay scallops, which pale in comparison). Some seafood I just cannot do because of the chewy texture (clams, oysters, calamari), but now I know a scallop, when cooked right, can be delectable.

The rest of the menu looked delicious as well, but I knew the scallops would be a good test to see if that seafood was for me.

Then I perused the dinner menu, and found a wonderful little appetizer.

Philo wrapped baked brie with pears and a balsamic reduction

I knew this would be a diet buster, but baked brie is one of my favorite things ever. Especially when it comes with fruit, as the sweetness of the fruit pairs so nicely with the saltiness of the brie. Ungh!

I indulged and ordered both. I had to wait a while, but I knew that the wait would be worth it.

The plates were beautiful. The chef is bordering on brilliant, and it showed in the dishes. The scallops looked so frickin' good I could hardly stand it.

I took my first bite, and afterward let out a little "uummm." The grilled scallop had the perfect texture, and the crispy ham on the outside added a nice salty bite. The pesto sauce was present but not overwhelming. The whole dish was like a symphony of flavors, each element complimenting the next, together creating the most beautiful music in my mouth. I let out another "uummm" after I took my first bite of the brie. Oh, melty brie in crispy philo with fresh pears lining the top. Need I say more? I had to control myself so I didn't just start "oooing" and "unghing" in the restaurant. I savored each bite, let all the wonderful flavors mingle there in my mouth while my brain tried to catch up.

After I finished, it truly felt like an after sex moment. I sat there, sipping my beer, completely relaxed and completely satisfied. Aahhhh. I wonder if I was glowing...

No comments: