16 September 2008

Too Much Dihydrogen Monoxide Will Kill You. And, On Another Note, I Love My Baubellum

It's true! I just read a story about this substance. It's ALL OVER the place. There are tons of websites that talk about banning it. It's dangerous, they say. OMG. I think this actually may be a good post for zee blog Oh My God, We're All Going to Die.

Click HERE for more information (then come back, please).





Okay, okay. I should have started this blog with "I read a story about a hoax about the substance." I had to have a little fun with it. If you haven't figured it out by now, dihydrogen monoxide is an obscure name for water. It is true that you can die if you consume too much of it ... I wasn't lying there. It's funny because people fall for this sort of thing. It circulated through e-mail and is part of a Top 10 E-mail Hoax List.

The story talks about this student who asked 50 classmates to sign a petition to ban this substance -- and received 43 signatures. He then went on to do a science project entitled "How Gullible Are We?"

I'm a very gullible person, but when it comes to signing my name to something, I like to be a little in the know. I suppose it would require asking the right questions, or opting to sign the petition online after doing some research. Although, my friends have gotten me pretty good. I was convinced that Bootstrappin' existed -- which my friend explained as using leather straps during sex, although how the straps were used escape me now. He was very good at tricking me into those things. I think it took the whole day for him to finally 'fess up that he was joking. Ah, he and other friends got a good laugh out of that one.

It's easy to take what people say for truth, especially if you trust that person. I've tried to be more discerning over the years, but every once in a while I'm still caught out there.

Not trusting people can backfire too. A friend of a friend (I didn't know this guy at all) was talking about how most mammals have bones in their penises. I just couldn't fathom this, and although I said I couldn't believe it, I also had to look it up the next day. And sure enough, most mammals do have bones in their penises (it's called a baculum). Who knew?

Something else I didn't know until I looked this up: Walruses have huge baculums. They can be up to 2 feet long. And they are used for knife handles. Think about that next time you go to shank someone -- you could be holding a walrus penis bone! Manly.

No comments: