11 September 2008

Jumping In: Opening Pandora's Box?

I know this is probably the topic of many, many a blog, but I can't help but want to chime in as well.

Story: Student auctions virginity

I heard this on the radio last night and then read the story this morning. It's really troubling. It reminds me of Memoirs of a Geisha. Even though Memoirs was set in the early 20th Century, which is not too long ago, I have to wonder if people now will actually pay for something like that...

I doubt she will get the million she's hoping for. In these times when sex is free, and good sex can be purchased for far less than a million, why would anyone want to devirginate a woman? I suppose it could be one of those things on the To Do list, but it's probably just as easy to find a virgin than it is to pay a cool million for one.

Especially with the media all over it. I'm not sure any self respecting man would participate in this auction knowing that the media will be there, and the story of Who Bought the Virgin will hit the airwaves and pages nationwide.

This woman finds her decision "empowering." The worst part to me is she is a women's studies major. Of all the women in all the land, I would think a women's studies major would know better than this. It's very ironic. Although she sees it as empowering, probably for getting paid a lot of money for her V Card, I can't imagine, after it's all said and done, she will feel the same way.

She also talked about this being a capitalistic society, and wanting to capitalize on her virginity. This actually makes sense, I mean, we all want to capitalize on our talents to earn more money. But where do you draw the line, and how will this play out in the future? If she successfully pays off her school debts for this one-time V Card offer, what message will that send to all the other virgins out there? I wonder if this will start something, much like the Geishas, where women stay virgins to pay for college, buy a new house, etc. This could have opened Pandora's Box. The repercussions of this one decision could be tremendous.

It's funny because although this country is extremely capitalistic in nature, this goes against many of its ideals. This shows the dirty nature of capitalism, doing anything you can to get ahead and make more money. Her idea is one that is taught to us all during the course of our lives, only she's taken it to the utmost extreme. This shows that capitalism can go too far, and when it does, the results can be devastating.

I have to admit, it's a brilliant plan -- if it works. I know I wouldn't do it, but like I always say, To Each (Her) Own. Just the same, I wish her the best of luck. I hope that after the dust settles she will still be the person she was, only missing something (almost) all will miss eventually anyway. I just hope she doesn't inspire the next generation of capitalists to take advantage of their virginity as well.

No comments: