05 November 2008

O Happy Day

It's a good day. Obama will be our new president. The streets of Portland were alive with honking cars and excited voters. The energy was off the charts, and I'm glad I was able to share this moment with others who were just as excited as I was.

This being said, some things didn't go the way I wanted them to. It looks like Merkely will not take the senate seat for Oregon. The Dems did not get the filibuster proof senate they need, but at least they gained some seats.

Prop 8 passed. This is one of the saddest of the losses to me. Gay marriage rights are extremely important, and for a huge state like California to ban them sends a message to other states. I feel bad for all of those couples who had their wedding day and now can only see it as a distant memory, something that was then a victory for gay rights and now just another day when two people loved each other and committed to each other.

Somehow, Oregon voters passed Measure 64 this time, after three other failed attempts. I guess they just got tired of voting for it, but it is extremely disappointing.

In more good news, Washington I-1000 passed! The Death with Dignity act joins Oregon's law to provide terminally ill people with the right to choose death. Such a basic right, but one that is only allowed in these two states. Seems ridiculous to me, but I know how religion drives the American train.

So, victory for Obama and the terminally ill in Washington. A sad loss for gay couples in California and the Dems in the senate. Despite the losses, the main thing is that OBAMA won, and none of us have to seek refugee status in Canada.

No comments: